I wanted to show you a tumbler that I use on a regular basis. This tumbler is great for polishing metal parts or for burnishing down newly cast pieces of jewelry.
If you are working on a piece of jewelry and it has parts that are difficult to reach with a polishing wheel this may be what you have been waiting for. These tumblers use a variety of polishing media. The tumbling media is used to burnish or polish the metal.
I recommend using stainless steel shot when tumbling silver or gold. If I am fabricating pieces I often will tumble all the parts and then solder them together after they look polished. After the soldering I will usually tumble again.
Tumbling helps to get into all the small places where a polishing wheel can’t reach.
If you are casting you can use the tumbler to clean up the cast piece. The steel shot will burnish the metal, helping to hide any porosity that may have occurred during the casting process.
(Full disclosure- I will receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. This helps keep Gotcha Rocks up and running)
Here is a video on how to mix the solution and use the tumbler.
I have links below to the tumblers and the polishing solution.
Here are a couple of tumblers I recommend. The Lortone brand is a high quality tumbler that can run for hours on end and lasts for years. The belts have to be replaced every once in a while but that is to be expected.
Here are some links to these tumblers. Happy hunting! 🙂
This is a good size for tumbling stones and metal items such as rings, earrings and bracelets. The drum is large enough to accommodate most jewelry and craft items.
- Lortone 45C Rock Tumbler features a molded-rubber 10-sided barrel. Steel body is strong and stable.
- Dimensions: 6.5L x 10.25W inches.
- Tumbler weighs about 9 pounds.
- 4-pound capacity.
- Made in the USA. Lortone quality is backed by a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
This is a smaller version of the 45c. The drum holds 3lbs. This is considered the economy version.
- Weight: 5 lbs One year warranty
- Tumbler dimensions: 9-1/4 x 5-3/4 x 2-1/2
- Barrel dimensions: 4-3/4H x 4-1/2 Diameter
- Model 3A tumbler with a simple 3 lb. capacity barrel offers the user economy and performance
- Designed for years of trouble free service, the 3A is a real workhorse. The barrel is hard rubber that minimizes noise and the durable motor will last for years. Simple to operate and UL approved.
- If you are using the tumbler for stones I recommend using the small to large ceramic pellets with your grit.
If you are using the tumbler for metal I recommend using steel shot with Sunsheen burnishing solution mixed with water. Check Rio Grand Supply for the Sunshine.
If you would like the tool list for the tumblers click here.
- We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and Ebay, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Have you ever struggled to bend your metal in a perfect circle while trying to make a ring?
There are many ways to bend sterling silver or gold stock. However, there is one tool that will save you time and frustration.
This is a follow up post to “How to Use Ring Bending Pliers”
What is it? Drumroll please………..It’s the Ring Bending Pliers.
This tool is in my opinion the best tool for fabricating rings.
In this post I am including a video on how to use these pliers,
a link to the pliers and a link to a good Ring Sizing Chart.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.